You can enforce the capture of sickness reasons on specific absence types, and doing this for sickness has many benefits, for example:
- Identify sickness trends within the workforce
- Improve the dialogue between managers and their team during Return to Work meetings
- Create alerts that go to managers & HR for specific reasons
- Consistent data - no more 'unspecified'
Typically in the UK, this is a best practice approach. There are specific countries which do not recommend this, however this setting can be enabled or disabled on a template basis - so you can pick and choose which of your teams/countries are required to select a sickness reason.
How to apply?
You can enable this setting Enforce Reason Capture with the following steps:
- In the Admin Panel, go to Global > Absence Type Setup
- Select which Absence Type you want to apply this setting to - typically this might be your sickness types - and click edit. (Note: You can do this on a Template and User level too)
- Under Additional Settings, you will find a setting called Enforce reason capture, ensure this is set to Yes.
- Once applied, users/managers will not be able to submit a request for the required absence without selecting a reason from the dropdown.
Please note, you will also need to ensure Sickness Reasons have been created on your system. For more information on those, please see here:
How to add Sickness Reasons to your system
Assigning Sickness Reasons to a specific Absence Type